Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dilbert Management Moment

There is an employee in my group that sits down the hall from me.  Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that there often seemed to be somebody in his office talking to him.  Knowing the nature of his job, it's not likely that most of these conversations were work related.  So the other day during staff meeting I suggested to his supervisor that he suggest to this individual that he might need to focus more on his work and even close his door if he needed to concentrate on his work.  His direct supervisor replied, that's fine, I can do that, but the last coaching we gave him (apparently at my suggestion) was that maybe he should keep his door open to be more accessible and part of the team.  The reason he had given for keeping his door closed previously, "people are always bothering me and I can't get my work done."   Go "pointy haired boss" team.  Some days I do more than just look the part.

No comments: