Saturday, March 10, 2012

High Mediocrity?

Last week the youth invited several of the "experienced" brothers and sisters from the ward to participate in a game night. It's an opportunity for the youth to get to know some of the brothers and sisters from the ward that they might not otherwise associate with and just possibly there might be a chance for some of them to accidentally inflict share some wisdom with the youth. We have a large youth group, so we had more youth than adults and so I stepped in to be an adult at one of the tables. The youth were moving between tables to play games and as part of the activity, each time a group moved to a new table  a question was pulled from a jar as part of an ice breaker. Here are the five questions I pulled out with my answers (I kept the questions because I thought it might make a good blog post):

Q. What would you name the autobiography of your life?
A. High Mediocrity??? (There's probably a whole blog post or maybe even a book to explain that one.)

Q. What was your favorite food as a child?
A. Lasagna that my mother used to make for Sunday afternon meals.

Q. What was your favorite date?
A. My first date with Marti.  (Interestingly enough all of the youth in this group were under 16, so most said their birthday.  I pressed the question a little bit and one of the girls said, we wouldn't tell you anyway, knowing that as church leaders we encourage them not to date until after they are 16.)

Q. What is one of your favorite quotes?
A. My old standby Moses 1:39.  "For behold this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

Q. Have you ever had something happen to you that youth thought was bad but it turned out for the best?
A. When we lived in San Angelo I put my name in for the newly vacated District Engineer position (supervisory position).  I was not selected, but two years later I was selected.  During those two years I worked on projects and gained knowledge that prepared me to able to eventually work overseas and eventually progress into the position that I have now.

No comments: